geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Release this week
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:16:15 GMT
On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:35:16AM +0100, jastrachan@mac.com wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2004, at 03:47, David Blevins wrote:
> >Maybe at some point later, I can find an easy way to use the cvs
> >commit messages as the release notes.
>
> Maybe we should install JIRA?
>
> I've found on other projects that as issues come up, bugs are found or
> things need to be fixed, you enter an issue into JIRA using it as
> todo-list and bug tracker - then it generates auto-release notes for
> you...
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?
> id=10242&report=changelog

That's really cool.  Do you know if that report can be exported as xml?

> plus then you get a road map to see what needs to be fixed before the
> next release...
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?
> id=10242&report=roadmap
>
> and you can tie in the issue ID to the CVS commit too if you want

We were doing exactly this on OpenEJB for some time.

Alan Cabrera wrote a few stylesheets to generate release notes, change
log, and a release download page from an xml file.  I got sick of
creating the xml file by hand, so I wrote a program to screen-scrape
our sf.net trackers and spit out the required xml.

That's how this page was created:

 http://www.openejb.org/download.html

Once we got that all setup, we became very strict about using the
trackers and putting the item ID in cvs commit messages (mostly to
make sure people where using the tracker).

At some point later I also wrote a stylesheet to take the same xml
file and spit out a list of items that were scheduled for the next
release grouped by "open" and "closed" status.

Eventually sf.net changed their html enough to kill my screen-scraping
and it all broke.  It was really really nice while it lasted though.

-David