geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: Does Geronimo use tomcat?
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:49:29 GMT

Just to back up what Jan said... it is our intention to make
the web tier very much a geronimo thing and not a Jetty/Tomcat
issue - at least from a configuration and deployment point of view.

  http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Architecture/WebContainer

The infrastructure of geronimo has been refactored recently and as
as part of that effort, the intial generic web tier was replaced
with a very Jetty specific web tier.  I view this change as
temporary state of affairs and that eventually a geronimo user
should not be aware of what implementation is being used for the
web tier (unless they actively lift the hood).

As for the Jetty licensing issue, I am considering changing Jetty
to the apache 2.0 license.  I need to have that discussion with the
Jetty community, but I see the 2.0 license as very compatible with
the artistic license which Jetty currently uses.

regards