geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Feature request...
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:38:26 GMT
	I think the most spec-compliant way to do this would be to fire up
a JSR-88 deployment tool, fully configure the module, and then save the
deployment plan to a file.  Then we could provide a (fully portable) Ant
task that would deploy a module given the xAR and saved deployment plan.
(Note that with an EAR, there's one deployment plan file that contains all
the server-specific info for all the modules in the EAR.)

	There is no portable way for you to generate this deployment plan
besides interacting with JavaBeans and manipulating their properties -- in
other words, behaving as a JSR-88 tool.  However, given that our
deployment plan is XML-based, it can certainly be done in a
Gernonimo-specific manner.  I'm not sure whether XDoclet could handle
packing all the deployment info for all the modules in an EAR into one
file, but we might also provide a Geronimo Ant task to assemble an EAR
deployment plan out of a bunch of server-specific DDs.

	Also, note that the J2EE spec allows you to override the
module-specific DDs by specifying an alternate location for them in the
EAR DD.  It wouldn't be inconceivable for Geronimo to support this sort of
thing too, but it doesn't seem necessary if the JSR-88 scenario is
workable.

Aaron