geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Does Geronimo use tomcat?
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:13:23 GMT

Hi,

>However, I must warn you.  Tomcat is not capable of being truly
integrated
>into the Geronimo environment, because it does not use a componentized
>architectural style.  Tomcat is very much an application, which can be
>bolted onto the side of
>Geronimo, but cannot be broken down and encapsulated into GBeans which
are
>then able to be individually managed by the container.  Believe me, I
spent >a month and a half researching the problem, and I did not arrive
at this >conclusion lightly.

I believe you, and thanks for doing all this work ;)

I'd like a list of things that are missing / problems you ran into /
issues you want addressed in order to get tomcat embeddable within
Geronimo.  It's safe to say that's possible, as JBoss has been doing it
for a while (and from some off-list discussions, I'm not alone in
thinking that's a competitive advantage for JBoss over Geronimo at this
stage).  We also have many users who embed tomcat in their own apps, but
as you say that doesn't necessarily reach the same manageability
standard.  No rush, but I'd like to see if we can help you from our side
in making tomcat more "Geronimo-friendly" for lack of a better term.

Yoav Shapira