geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Calahan <p...@bea.com>
Subject JAM: Java API for Metadata
Date Sat, 27 Mar 2004 03:23:52 GMT
Hello everyone.  I am a committer on Xml-Beans, another project currently
in the Apache Incubator.  As part of my work there, I have developed an API
for representing Java types and their associated metadata which I believe
would be of general use to the community.

The API is called 'JAM' - the Java API for Metadata.  On the surface, it
looks quite a bit like Reflection or the Doclet API, but it affords a
greater level of flexibility and convenience, and in particular provides
solutions for a number of thorny problems posed by JSR175.

I have had a few discussions with some folks on
general@incubator.apache.org about possibly spinning JAM up as an
independent project from xbeans.  It was suggested that it would be useful
to test the waters in some other projects such as Geronimo to see if JAM
would indeed be generally useful.  So, here I am testing. :)

Anyway, if you want more gory details, I have temporarily posted some white
papers and the API docs here:

http://www.pcal.net/jam

Any feedback is more than welcome.

Thanks,