geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "n. alex rupp" <>
Subject Re: Does Geronimo use tomcat?
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:39:35 GMT
It's true.  Tomcat's 95% ready.  It took me about a week to learn enough about
GBeans and Catalina to get a bolt-on version of Tomcat running inside Geronimo,
so we don't need a jumpstart. It isn't in the code base right now because there
are some special build/maven-related parlour tricks that need to be performed in
order to get it integrated with the normal build, and one Mr. Sundstrom has
taken charge of that effort.  Once he gets it integrated into the build, you'll
be able to use Tomcat.  I don't know if T5'll ship with the first version of
Geronimo or not--I don't hear much from Dain or Jeremy these days.  They're
somewhere near London, probably pub crawling.

However, I must warn you.  Tomcat is not capable of being truly integrated into
the Geronimo environment, because it does not use a componentized architectural
style.  Tomcat is very much an application, which can be bolted onto the side of
Geronimo, but cannot be broken down and encapsulated into GBeans which are then
able to be individually managed by the container.  Believe me, I spent a month
and a half researching the problem, and I did not arrive at this conclusion

It isn't that Tomcat is designed poorly, just that it wasn't designed to be

This poses problems if you're trying to use Tomcat's built-in JMX to connect
with other GBeans.  It also means you won't be able to take advantage of the
distributed configurations, dependency management, application lifecycle, and
all of the other things a real integration with a JSR-77 compliant container
would buy you.   I was not happy to make this realization, but it's given me a
whole new appreciation for Jetty (not that I was really lacking in that
department to begin with).

This is why I'll be focusing my time and energy in the future on helping Greg,
Jan and Jules with a true integration of Jetty, or some other solution that's
amiable to them and the other project commiters.  Hopefully, as more IoC-3 style
"constructor dependency injection" containers (like the GBean / Plexus / Pico
containers) start becoming available, our web server solutions will get more
componentized.  In the mean time we'll keep the Tomcat bolt-on available in case
anyone desperately needs it, and give whatever constructive advice we can
regarding the subject.  If not here, then definitely on IRC.

(as Greg and others have mentioned, if you stick to the specification then
you've got nothing at all to worry about.)

Cheers, hope you guys are all doing well : )
N. Alex Rupp