geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: GBean configuration confusion
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:20:48 GMT

Dain Sundstrom wrote:

>> If you try calling any methods on it, including toString, it gives you  a
>>    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Proxy is stopped
>> I'm not sure what state this is meant to be in???
>
> Proxies are not valid until doStart.  This is due to the fact that the
> pattern you have assigned for the endpoint may not match any other
> running GBeans (or their may be more then one matching GBean).  When
> you enter the running state we lock down the single reference.

OK - so I should leave that config alone in the context constructor (I was
only wondering what it was :-)

But as you say, the NPE that results if I don't catch the IllegalStateException
does appear wacky.

To get this NPE, simply throw an IllegalStateException from the
constructor of JettyWebApplicationContext and this will cause the NPE.

There are obviously other ways it can be triggerred, as I'm currently
trying to add an attribute to the context GBean - I must have done something
wrong somewhere, that is resulting in an exception somewhere - as I'm getting this
NPE. But for the life of me I can't find out what the original exception is yet.
Still learning eclipse - so debugging multiple threads over multiple projects
with generated code is a tad beyond me at the moment.  So far my exhaustive
hunt-and-kill-bug-with-printlns approach has also failed to work out where
the problem is.

So any help working out the causes of the NPE and how to better catch and
report them would be good.  Perhaps just an empty catch block somewhere?

cheers