geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: Cleaning up deployment (unifying services and 88)
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:19:33 GMT

On Friday, February 6, 2004, at 11:46 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> We currently have two different models for deployment:
> * -service.xml files
> * J2EE modules via the JSR88 API
> The way these are being handled is similar but slightly different and
> this is causing problems bootstrapping the installation.
> I am going to try and unify these two approaches as follows...
> Each deployment plugin (Nova, Jetty, Connector) currently provides an
> implementation of DeploymentConfigurationFactory which is used by the
> 88 plugin to configure/distribute each module type.
> We also have a ServiceDeployer which handles -service.xml files. I am
> going to turn this into another GBean just like the module deployers.
> For simplicity, I am going to add a Geronimo-specific ModuleType
> SERVICE that represents this service type (the 88 spec provides ways
> for a vendor to do this).
> The old DeployCommand will be refactored to create a DeploymentManager
> that has been extended to allow for deployments containing multiple
> source archives. With this (proprietary) API call, you will be able to
> bundle multiple DeployableObjects together into a single > Configuration.

This will require a deployment plan schema whose only purpose is to
hold multiple deployment plans, correct?  If so I have one I could
check in.  It provides the configID and the sub plan.

xmlbeans handling of any elements is a little awkward.  Perhaps we
could define an extensible base schema type for the sub-plans: I
haven't tried it yet but it might make the xmlbeans stuff easier.

> We will also extend the EAR deployer to allow it to contain SERVICE
> modules inside - this will allow developers to create bundles
> combining applications with configuration information needed to run
> them.

> Having DeployCommand use the same infrastructure as 88 will simplify
> the APIs.
+100 I wondered if this was possible.

david jencks
> The build will generate a executable CAR called "" which
> will provide a command-line tool for deploying components. This CAR
> will comprise a Geronimo Configuration with deployers for all J2EE
> types plus SERVICE. It will be used in the assembly stage of the build
> to generate the default server configuration; it can also be used
> afterward to deploy any modules.
> --
> Jeremy

View raw message