geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Simplified build
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:28:24 GMT
I think I have finally gotten our maven the way we want... simple.

After a cvs update or fresh checkout, this is what you need to do to
build:

$ maven
$ maven run:server

Thats it.

Now I only tested this on my apple, so if it doesn't work for you,
please include your os and java version in the post.  Also, make sure
you are using maven rc1.

If you have built Geronimo before, there will be cruft in your local
maven repository, so I suggest you either move it to a backup location,
or just delete it.  Maven also likes to stick the plugin jars in the
"plugins" directory under in the installed maven directory, and I
suggest you remove the cruft from there also.  Basically, I just search
for anything named "geronimo*" under ~/.maven and
~/maven-1.0-rc1/plugins on my apple (of course the location will be
different on Windows).

Details
=======
I converted the assembly directory into a module at
<root>modules/assembly.  The assembly module creates out output
distribution at <root>/target.  To start the server you can use "maven
run:server" or "maven debug:server", but using maven to start the
server disables the our shutdown hooks.  This means that out normal
clean-up code will not run, which not currently critical, but will
become critical over time.  The best way to start the server is using
java directly at the command line as follows:

$ java -jar target/bin/server.jar target/config-store
org/apache/geronimo/System org/apache/geronimo/Server

One thing to note is we no longer need the geronimo.base.dir system
variable.  The SystemInfo gbean can now locate the base directory
automatically.  I hope to get rid of the rest of standard
command-line-arguments soon.

We also no longer need the separate "maven plugins" step, as the
plugins are fully incorporated into the main build process.  The trick
to eliminating this step, was to not run the plugin:install task from
build.  Instead, we build a normal jar using jar:jar, and then
explicitly copy that jar to geronimo/plugins/abcd.jar.  A module that
needs to use the xmlbeans plugins only has to include the following
dependancy:

<dependency>
     <groupId>geronimo</groupId>
     <artifactId>geronimo-xmlbeans-plugin</artifactId>
     <version>DEV</version>
     <type>plugin</type>
</dependency>

Apparently, when the type is "plugin" maven automatically installs and
loads that plugin.

Good luck everyone,

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom