geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Jsp compile problem
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:27:05 GMT
cwyou wrote:

> Hi:
>     I build the Geronimo and its server successfully. When I enter
> http://localhost:8080/geronimo-web-console to access the JMX Agent View.
> The page comes out the following message:
>
> HTTP ERROR: 500
> No Java compiler was found to compile the generated
> source for the JSP. This can usually be solved by
> copying manually $JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar from the
>  JDK to the common/lib directory of the Tomcat server,
> followed by a Tomcat restart. If using an alternate Java
> compiler, please check its installation and access path.

Here's what I did.  Complete hack, but seemed to fix the problem:

- copy your JDK's lib/tools.jar file into assembly/target/lib

- in assembly/maven.xml, in the deploy:server goal, change the line:
   <attribute name="Class-Path" value="${classpath}"/>
   <attribute name="Class-Path" value="${classpath} ../lib/tools.jar"/>

- run 'maven deploy:server' again.  This will 'fix' the
assembly/target/bin/server.jar file to add tools.jar to the classpath.

Before doing this, I had the same problem you did.  After making this
change, I saw a gorgeous jmx-console.  kudos to the author

I saw mention in the ml archives about someone plugging eclipse's java
compiler in; an older eclipse compiler is currently in the ibilio maven
repo ...  I guess a little code somewhere to adapt eclipse's compiler to
whatever tomcat requires, then add the eclipse compiler as a runtime
dependency ...

--
Patrick Mueller
pmuellr@yahoo.com