geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jer...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Cleaning up deployment (unifying services and 88)
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:46:19 GMT
We currently have two different models for deployment:
* -service.xml files
* J2EE modules via the JSR88 API

The way these are being handled is similar but slightly different and
this is causing problems bootstrapping the installation.

I am going to try and unify these two approaches as follows...

Each deployment plugin (Nova, Jetty, Connector) currently provides an
implementation of DeploymentConfigurationFactory which is used by the 88
plugin to configure/distribute each module type.

We also have a ServiceDeployer which handles -service.xml files. I am
going to turn this into another GBean just like the module deployers.
For simplicity, I am going to add a Geronimo-specific ModuleType SERVICE
that represents this service type (the 88 spec provides ways for a
vendor to do this).

The old DeployCommand will be refactored to create a DeploymentManager
that has been extended to allow for deployments containing multiple
source archives. With this (proprietary) API call, you will be able to
bundle multiple DeployableObjects together into a single Configuration.
We will also extend the EAR deployer to allow it to contain SERVICE
modules inside - this will allow developers to create bundles combining
applications with configuration information needed to run them.

Having DeployCommand use the same infrastructure as 88 will simplify the
APIs.

The build will generate a executable CAR called "deployer.car" which
will provide a command-line tool for deploying components. This CAR will
comprise a Geronimo Configuration with deployers for all J2EE types plus
SERVICE. It will be used in the assembly stage of the build to generate
the default server configuration; it can also be used afterward to
deploy any modules.

--
Jeremy