geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: License Change Day, was: Change of License
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:35:27 GMT
On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 08:24:43AM -0800, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> Given the short time to do the migration, I see the biggest challenge as
> getting everyone to sync their versions. As weekends seem to be the most

Sync? If somebody is changing the header of a file, it shouldn't interfere
with anything you're doing within the file. Before you commit, you'll just
do a "cvs update" and CVS will merge the license change into your files.

The only way that you'll see a problem is if *two* people try to change
the headers. Then you'll get a merge conflict in the headers, *maybe*. CVS
is also pretty good about seeing that a change made on the server is equal
to what you did in your local working copy.

For Apache HTTPD, one person volunteered and then proceeded to relicense
the whole codebase over a day or two. I didn't hear of any problems, and
we certainly din't have a "sync day".

The tools take care of this for you.

Greg Stein,

View raw message