geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Giampaolo Tomassoni <>
Subject Limitations in EJBs Home interface handling by OpenENB
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:44:28 GMT

it seems to me that both the 'standard' OpenEJB implementation (0.9.2) and the
'nova' one (2.0a) don't allow using an arbitrary Home Business methods in
deployed ejbs.

Since Home methods are the only way to remotely implement something close to
regular java class's 'static' methods, I believe that it is important to
support the availability of arbitrary home methods, i.e. something different
from create<METHOD>, find<METHOD> and remove<METHOD>.

Looking at the 2.0a sources, the limitation seems related to the
org.openejb.core.ivm.EjbHomeProxyHandler class, in which the method
_invoke(...) seems to take into account the invocation of only the create<>,
find<>, getEJBMetaData, getHomeHandle and remove<> method names.

It seems also that competing ejb container systems allow abstract home
business methods, by looking for ejbHome<HOME_METHOD> in the EntityBean
instance of the related home interface. I.e., a locateByName(...) in an Home
interface would let the container to look for an ejbHomeLocateByName(...)
method in the corresponding bean.

This limitation is particularly important when one tries, i.e., to overcame
the intrinsic EJB limitation on beans inheritances by creating custom
locate<METHOD> methods (see: ).

Also note point 9.5.4 of the ejb-2_1-fr-spec states that an ejb shall be
allowed to implement an Home Business Bethod.

Please note I'm not an EJB expert, so maybe I'm missing some important point
in implementing my own home business method... :)

I'm sending this note to the geronimo-dev list in the hope that somebody from
the OpenEJB org can see it: I'm not shure whether or not the site is still active.

	Giampaolo Tomassoni

View raw message