geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dasarath Weeratunge <dasarathweeratu...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: jsr 109 impl/ws-at
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:16:36 GMT
--- David Jencks <david@coredevelopers.net> wrote:
> I don't know much about the context of what you are
> discussing.

Its like this, when the proposed jsr 109 impl is done,
we can impl web services using ejbs deployed in
geronimo. But what if those ws are to take part in
ws-transactions? the J2EE and ws both have their own
transaction handling. We need to *define a way* that
allows the two models to interoperate (**this is what
we need to discuss**) -- tied to how we plan on
handing jsr 109 in geronimo.

> Does this involve importing a transaction controlled
from a remote transaction manager?

I'm not sure what you ment by importing, but what
should happen is, the transaction manager used by
geronimo must become a participant of the distributed
transaction. The remote transaction manage will drive
the 2PC protocol.

> Or is axis itself controlling the tx?

axis does not control the transaction. But axis
handlers can be used to process transaction specific
info in the soap requests.

> What information is available regarding the
transaction? In particular is an Xid available?

Each soap request that is to be part of a specific
transaction contains the corresponding ws transaction
context. Accorting to ws-coor, on receiving the
transaction context for the first time the ws is
responsible for registering it self with the remote
transaction manager. The interaction b/w the web
service and the remote transaction manager is defined
in ws-atomictransaction & ws-coordination.

> Is Axis running in the same vm as the
> rest of geronimo?

No. not presetly. However, this is likely to be
changed due to the performance penality of using the
Remote interface to access ejbs from ws. It seems (at
least for now) that handling of ws-sec and ws-at
related matters would be very much straight forward if
we move axis into geronimo.

> Without any information on these questions I would
> look into using the
> j2ee connector architecture
> ExecutionContext/WorkManager to import the
> transaction.  This is not yet implemented but will
> be soon.  (The
> WorkManager is implemented but does not yet import
> transactions).

I'll will look into this.

Thanks

Dasarath