geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <>
Subject Re: [EWS] Geronimo - EWS Deployment Team
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:35:26 GMT

Let us step back a bit. There are two stages

Stage #1: Design/Coding Phase
Stage #2: Runtime

In stage #1, the web services developer will use the tools (the ones in EWS repository NOW)
generate JSR 109 compliant artifacts like (All these items are packed into the EAR):
- webservices.xml
- jaxrpcmapping.xml
- implementation of handlers
- implementation of server-side code

Note that the developer may choose to use a tool from a different vendor to generate the EAR
the exact same stuff. Ias and Srinath are working on tools for generating the stuff for stage

In stage #2, This is where you jump in, you will need to extract information from the EAR
and use
those information to hook up Geronimo and Axis.

TIP: If you look at org.apache.axis.deployment.wsdd package in Axis, you will see how Axis
currently uses information present in WSDD files to deploy the service.
TIP: If you look at EJBProvider in Axis, you will see how EJB's are currently invoked from

See for additional

--- wrote:
> Hi all,
> Recently i sent a mail to Srinath bec me and Jeremy were a little confused
> about our role in the Geronimo - JSR-109 Integration. Srinath told me that
>  we present a proposal to the list.
> We were thinking about what we need to do. And our conclusion was that we
> must be involved in the deployment of WS over geronimo.
> Our proposal consists in two steps and we show them to you:
> 1.- Get the neccesary files from the ear, war, ejb-jar and give it to the
> ews code for generate the files neccesary's to do the ws-deployment (service
> impl,s, service endpoint Interface impl's, stubs, xml's, etc.)
> 2.- With the result obtained from ews we will deploy the ws over a web-app
> who will contain only one servlet who will receive the soap requests. This
> implies the bindings too.
> Our job will concentrate in two sides:
> 1.- Do a WS-deployment planner who will do the steps 1 and 2 from the geronimo
> deployment side and
> 2.- Add code to the axis-servlet to do the ws deployment.
> We'd really appreciate our comments please.
> Cheers.
> Luis Avila

Davanum Srinivas -

View raw message