geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Idea
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:11:58 GMT
Either I don't understand what you are proposing or you have
misunderstood the online dependencies for the maven build.

1. Maven automatically downloads jars that the project.xml file claims
are needed for the build and stores them permanently in a local
repository.  Once you have them, online access to the jars is no longer
necessary.  However, due to rapid evolution of Geronimo, the set of
jars that are required changes often.  You can try to download all the
required jars by hand and put them in the  local maven repository, but
I predict you would spend several hours more than maven would.  It is
also possible that not all the jars listed as required dependencies are
in fact required.  I haven't thought of a good way to deal with this
problem.

2. Currently, the non-jar online dependencies have nothing to do with
maven: they are caused by xmlbeans looking for schemas online during
the build.  Before xmlbeans, there were similar problems with the DOM
parser.  I'm hoping this problem will get solved soon but do not
consider it the most critical issue we have at the moment.  xmlbeans v2
has a solution, and I have asked the xmlbeans team to consider
backporting the solution to v1.

In any case, having an offline capable build is clearly highly
desirable.

thanks
david jencks