geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: jetty DeploymentTest failure
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 05:42:43 GMT
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> Can you put a e.printStackTrace in DistributeCommand at line 127 (call
> to fail()) to see what is happening?

org.apache.geronimo.deployment.DeploymentException: Unable to unpack WAR
content
        at
org.apache.geronimo.jetty.deployment.JettyModule.generateClassPath(Je
ttyModule.java:148)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.ModuleDeployer.deploy(ModuleDeployer.j
ava:136)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.DistributeCommand.run(Dis
tributeCommand.java:110)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /test/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF (No
such fi
le or directory)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:179)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:131)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.ModuleDeployer.addFile(ModuleDeployer.
java:197)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.jetty.deployment.JettyModule.generateClassPath(Je
ttyModule.java:138)
        ... 3 more

> As an aside, how did the 88 people expect errors during distribute to
> get reported - all I can return is status and error message? Maybe we
> should just print it to stderr and hope :-(

	Via status messages and result codes from the ProgressObject
(getDeploymentStatus, or addProgressListener).

	What will really cook your goose, so to speak, is how to try to
ensure that the client actually sees all the progress messages if the
operation succeeds or fails "immediately" (before the client gets enough
of a timeslice to register the listener or poll the object).

	Also note that in order to hook the ProgressObject up to something
intelligible, you may want to use a unique ID for the deployment
operations, but that's OK because you need to generate that for the
TargetModuleID anyway (even if the same EAR/JAR/etc. is redeployed, each
operation must have a unique ID and result in a unique TMID).  I used JMX
notifications for this in the prior implementation, which was why I was
harassing Hiram so much.

Aaron