geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Who's in charge of deploying EARs?
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:02:20 GMT
	I believe Jeremy is in the midst of some significant changes to
the deployment process.  Perhaps he can comment, but I'm guessing this
isn't the best time to work on new deployment features.

	The ApplicationDeployer is the JSR-88 server side.  All the
unimplemented methods are basically there to support JSR-88 client calls
that we have to support.  The implemented methods actually set up
deployment operations, and are used for everything that's deployed
(services, apps, etc.).

	The main shortcoming as far as JSR-88 goes is currently that
JSR-88 uses a distribute-then-start lifecycle, whereas the current
planners roll everything into a single "deploy" step.  Jeremy, do you also
have thoughts on whether the revisions will make it easier to explicitly
split out the "distribute" step?  My sense is that it will, because we'll
be handling the ClassSpace in a better way and so on, so that we'll be
able to do more work during "distribution" and we can simply flick a
switch for the "start".

Aaron