geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: GeronimoMBeanTarget.doStart() - failure mode ?
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2004 05:36:34 GMT
So I have been thinking about this for a while now...

The big problem is the support for multiple targets under a single
GeronimoMBean.  If we didn't have multiple targets we could easily move
from starting to running by calling the doStart method.  If that method
threw a WaitingException (or whatever we call it), we would leave it in
the starting state, and if it threw anything else we would fail the
component.  This would also make implementing this code much easier.

The biggest and only user I know of for multiple targets is JCA.  JCA
uses this to expose the properties of a connection, which are not known
ahead of time.

I propose we ditch multiple targets for a DynamicGBean interface.  If a
GBean wants to define the interface at runtime, it simply implements
this interface just like a DynamicMBean.  I like the idea of a
DynamicGBean being able to use the normal attribute and operation
mapping for most methods and the dynamic interface for only the stuff.

Comments?

-dain