geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Schema and dtd management
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:09:51 GMT
After working with Kristian Koehler on improvements to the
LocalEntityResolver I'd like to discuss reorganizing the schemas and
dtds.

Kristian's additions let us use  the standard xml catalog format to
identify locations looked up by publicId or systemId during xml
processing.  I think everything possible should be listed in one or
more catalogs and no reliance placed on a local repository or on the
classpath.

Before discussing reorganization, I have a question that I hope an xml
expert can answer.  The documentation I have been able to find for
EntityResolver seems to indicate that it is intended only to look up
entities by publicId or systemId, and mentions nothing about resolving
namespace locations.  However, xerces appears to resolve schemas
mentioned in xsi:schemaLocation by looking up publicId=null,
systemId=URI given as schemaLocation.  I can't find any information as
to whether this is covered by any standards.  Does anyone know anything
more about this?

-----------
Reorganization proposal:

1. move LocalEntityResolver to kernel module.  IMO it should be used
for validating/loading mbean configurations.  This will presumably also
require setting up its mbean in the boot.mlet.

2. move all the grammars (schemas and dtds) to a separate module,
either in specs or modules.  This includes the schemas included in
modules/core/schema and several dtds (and schemas?) scattered through
the spec modules.  Obviously this depends partly on clearing up whether
we can have the sun grammars in our cvs at all.

2.a. We could put all the grammars in one module, both the sun  ones
and the geronimo ones. (one cataog)
or
2.b We could have the sun grammars in a spec module and the geronimo
ones in a modules module. (two catalogs)

There is also a question about whether the grammars should be in a jar
file as at present or unpacked in a directory.  A jar file makes
distribution slightly easier, whereas an unpacked directory makes it
easier for users to actually find and look at the contents.  There is
some indication in the catalog code that it may not relate too well
with jar files: I haven't gotten the catalog to work with jar files yet.

Comments appreciated,

thanks
david jencks