geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Moving between security realms
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 06:31:41 GMT

On Tuesday, January 6, 2004, at 10:00 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

<snip>
> way
> is
>>>
>>> I agree and got rid of it.
>> Not yet committed?   Is there anywhere to get the current subject
> from?

----
is there?
----

>>> generalized
>>>
>>> Nice idea.  Something like?
>>>
>>> ContextManager.setContext(subject, key, value);
>>> ContextManager.setCaller(subject);
>>> Object value = ContextManager.getContext(key);
>>
>> I was thinking more along the lines of  the TransactionContext idea in
>> Nova to avoid thread locals.  The "environment", what ever that might
>> be, would supply something implementing
>> setContext(Subject, AccessControlContext)//maybe split up into 2 calls
>> getSubject()
>> getAccessControlContext()
>>
>> The EJB invocation object could implement this, and other things could
>> also as necessary.
>
> I think that we need the current subject in a static.  For example, my
> implementation of getCallerPrincipal is:
>
> public static Principal getCallerPrincipal() {
>     Context context = (Context)
> subjectContexts.get(currentCaller.get());
>
>     assert context != null : "No registered context";
>
>     return context.principal;
> }
>
> where currentCaller is a ThreadLocal object.  The call to
> isCallerInRole() would work in a similar manner.  I'm not sure how this
> would work if we stored the information in the EJB invocation object.

interface SecurityContext {
   Context getContext();
   void setContext(Context context);
   Subject getSubject();
   void setSubject(Subject subject);
}

extend EJBInstanceContext to either extend SecurityContext or have a
getSecurityContext method.

change EJBContextImpl.EJBContextState to include EJBInstanceContext in
the getCallerPrincipal and isCallerInRole methods, and use the security
context in the obvious way to answer the questions.

With this kind of pattern you may still need one threadlocal somewhere,
but you are likely to access it much less often.

>>> I had always thought that the credentials that were mentioned in
>>> credential mapping would be something generated by the LoginModule,
>>> e.g.
>>> certs.  I think that these are saved in the Subject.
>>
>> Well, to make what I'm saying concrete, if you want to log into the db
>> using the same user/pw as you logged into the app with, you need the
>> password you logged into the app with to be available.  Right now it's
>> not saved in the Subject filled in by either example LoginModule.  I
>> think they should be.
>
> If I have the user/pw from one realm, how useful would the password be
> in the target realm?  The only thing I can think of is a mapping a cert
> to a cert who's expiration is no more than the original cert.

The connector spec mentions credential mapping but I don't really see a
specific case there.  However, the very simple case I mentioned
requires the Subject to have the original login password available, so
it can be used to log into the database.

> It

>>> I'm not sure what ManagedConnectionFactory and PasswordCredentials
> have
>>> to do with this example.
>>
>> Having two interfaces/objects is a much better idea.  The MCF instance
>> has to be included in  the PasswordCredential that the resource
> adapter
>> expects.

> ContextManager.peekContext().getSubject();

> and
>>>
>>> I was thinking of something very, very, similar but I was thinking
> of a
>>> new Bridge Bean:
>>>
>>> Subject mapSubject(Subject subject) {
>>> }
>>
>> How about calling this interface RealmBridge?  Do you think it
> deserves
>> a package of its own, maybe o.a.g.security.bridge?  With this model
>> the mappings aren't specific to resource adapters, so I'd be happy to
>> put them in the security module.
>
> Neat idea.  I think it should go in o.a.g.security for now, until the
> number of patterns get really large.

OK, I'll try this out.

thanks
david