geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Lets finish conversion to GeronimoMBean, or, no more code rot.
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:17:10 GMT

On Tuesday, January 6, 2004, at 01:22 PM, Jan Bartel wrote:

> Sorry for the late and rushed reply, but briefly:
>
> David Jencks wrote:
> <snip>
>> Web framework.  Along with converting to use GeronimoMBeans, the
>> functionality of the web deployer should be separated from the web
>> container to match the architecture of the other deployer/container
>> frameworks.
>
> I will look into the GeronimoMBean for the web layer, however I am not
> convinced of the separation of the deployer from the web container. It
> suits the web layer that the container is the deployer because:
>
> 1. we want to be able to run multiple Jettys
> 2. we want to be able to run multiple Tomcats AND multiple Jettys (AND
> whatever else web container flavours).
>
> Refactoring out the deployer functionality from the web container just
> introduces problems of the deployer working out which instance of a
> web container to deploy to.
>
> For the other containers, eg ejb container, the deployer can be
> factored out because there is (AFAIK) a 1:1 relationship between
> deployer and container.

Well, IMNSHO, separating the deployment planner from the web container
resulted in a much clearer design.  You can set the target web
container, essentially, as an attribute of the deployment planner.
Also, IIUC, Jeremy's redesign of deployment will often result in the
deployment planner running on a different machine from the web
container, which would cause problems if they were one component.

david jencks