geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: Standard prefix for mailing list subject lines
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 09:25:19 GMT

> FYI, the software i often use to check my email is PapiMail on Treo
> 600/300 phones. i have to choose what to download (or delete) based on
> the subject line.

Get a yahoo account for collecting the mail you want and set up a real
computer to filter mail into it [1].

It is common at Apache for subject prefixes to be used to identify topics
or procedural mails, eg [PROPOSAL], [VOTE], [jsr109] adding [geronimo] in
front of everything is redundant, would make subject lines less clear and
be annoying.

> there is no room on the display to show anything else
> besides the subject/from fields without making it too awkward to use.

So what you're saying is that your pda is too small to use for email, join
the club.

d.

[1] I would thoughroughly recommend Apache James http://james.apache.org
for this :-) it is capable of receiving mail for multiple domains or
automatically downloading mail from multiple POP or IMAP accounts, you can
set up simple or complex filtering and forwarding, including spam filtering
based on bayesian analysis. Mail can be stored for local accounts or
forwarded/aliased to remote accounts, meaning that you can have multiple
POP3 accounts set up to re-distribute your mail according to what you want
to see, topic, sender etc. This makes it very useful for people(like me)
who have a lot of mail and only want to see a small sub-set on the move.

d.

viruses.