geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Project Name - digression
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:59:46 GMT
Danny, Jules, and everyone else ...

My only concern over the name Geronimo is the apparent division within the
Community regarding its name.

I have looked for trademark and other issues, don't see a problem.  Yes,
there are several other software uses of the name, but no one is complaining
about anyone else, and no one appears to have trademarked it.  In the
meantime, we have 6 months of mindshare invested in the name, and I cannot
recall a single complaint that was not expressed as being sensitive to the
feelings of others.

Does it change anyone's mind to be told that (according to the Wiki) a
Native American culture preservation group has given its blessing to use the
name, and the project has agreed to provide internationalization support for
at least one Native American language?  I don't know how the latter will be
done (I did not know that there are any written Native American languages,
and the volcabularly would need to be expanded), but I feel that the concept
is respectful.

So, getting back to my first point, my only concern is the division.  With
50+ votes, there are clearly more than a few people on each side of the
fence, and that bothers me.  I don't want Apache Communities to be about who
has the most votes.  My problem is that I absolutely cannot tell from the
votes whether the people asking for a change are asking because they,
personally, don't want the name; or because they are voting out of belief
regarding what others want, and otherwise don't really have a particular
care.

	--- Noel