geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: making JSR 77 / 88 reusable for component authors (& container developers)
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:38:50 GMT

On Monday, December 1, 2003, at 10:49 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Sunday, November 30, 2003, at 09:34 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Dain, David,
>>

>> Could one of you guys point me to the right packages where this
>> code is located.  I want to begin to understand the amount of effort
>> it would take to get existing components that run in Merlin or
>> Phoenixto run within Geronimo.  And I suspect from our conversations
>> you know what I want to doJ.  It was nice talking to you guys over
>> beers btw.
>
> All of the code is in
> modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/kernel/service but I don't
> think that will help you as it is mostly framework code.  I think an
> example would be the best place to start.  Unfortunately, I don't know
> where the good examples are anymore.  David Jencks converted most of
> the old AbstractManagedObject style components to GeronimoMBeans, so
> I'll defer to him for good examples.

I guess the examples are:

connector deployer sets up instances of connector components as
Geronimo mbeans (ResourceAdapter and ManagedConnectionFactory).  These
use the multiple target facilities of Geronimo MBeans to add helper
objects that expose additional attributes (such as class names of other
connector components) and adapt connector lifecycle events that require
direct access to instances of resource adapter classes to the
"all-proxy" environment of geronimo mbeans.

OpenEJB/Nova ejb deployment in which the entirely
non-geronimo-mbean-aware nova ejb containers are deployed as geronimo
mbeans.  There is one concession to endpoint lifecycle here: the
TransactionManager is set after the container is created.  I think this
can be fixed by making a dependency from the CreateGeronimoMbean task
to the TransactionManager.

I think the approach of these deployers is very good, in terms of
converting pojo deployment descriptors into constructor arguments and
attributes (for classes we don't control the structure of) for
non-geronimo-mbean aware classes that do the work.  The code seems
easier to understand than the xsl approach I tried in the JBoss
connector  deployment framework.  However, I think it may still be too
complicated for long-term maintainability.

Thanks
david jencks