geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ed Letifov <e.leti...@chello.nl>
Subject Question to commiters: Applying patches
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:27:43 GMT
Hello,

  I am sorry to raise this topic and hopefully it will not produce any
lengthly discussions.

  I don't have a commiter status on this project but I try to contribute
to it as much as possible. I'd love to do some "real" work, but every
time I have this intention and go in search for what to do I see people
already doing something on almost every API required for Geronimo, and
these people are already way ahead of me in their respective areas. I
follow every thread on the list, but there is a feeling of "missed
train" :( I guess I am not the only one who feels this way.

  Still, I did find a nice niche for me - "vanilla" tests. Maybe not so
attractive as writing an implementation for some JSR, but sometimes
almost as much challenging. As I understand there is still a goal to
reach a close to 100% test coverage, so I am doing my best to help
Geronimo reach this goal. BTW, I think this kind of activity would be a
nice entry point for all these people who were willing to contribute
but literally stopped after writing the "hello, my name is.... I would
like to contribute...." letter .

  Now, to the real point. At the early stages of the project it was
extremely motivating to see the patches you submit being picked up by
one of the commiters and applied virtually in a matter of hours. I do
understand that today it might not be the case, with people literally
being too busy.

  My question is: is there any way to speed this process up? Is there a
dedicated commiter who would be willing to process such incoming
patches (accept, review, react) basically acting as a gateway to people
who might not be extremely experienced yet in such kind of activity?
Should someone assume this role? I know I would be willing to do it,
but as I said I don't have a commiter status yet, and I guess the
amount of my current involvement does not give me enough "weight" to
try to get it.

Ed Letifov.