geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Charlton Barreto <charlto...@gmx.ch>
Subject Re: [concurrency-interest] Executors and J2EE Work frameworks
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:37:57 GMT
On Dec 12, 2003, at 14:01, David Jencks wrote:

> I agree completely, and applied for the Work Management expert group.
> We'll see what happens:-)

Great! I've applied for the Timers EG. Hopefully we'll both get in. :-)

> I applied as an individual.   If anyone thinks it would be better to
> apply as a Geronimo or Apache representative please say so and explain
> why: I thought it would add administrative complexity without adding
> value.

I'd agree that it would for the most part only add administrative
complexity. Applying as an Apache (or SUNY-Oswego) representative would
only add flexibility in that the organization would 'own' the
membership, so that if you needed to be 'offline' from the spec and
wanted someone else in the project to be on the EG list, it would be
relatively easy to do so. AFAIK Apache already is a JCP member so this
shouldn't be a big deal.

> So far I haven't reviewed the timer spec.

I read through it and I feel that it would better serve J2EE for it to
be abstracted somewhat, primarily to handle various timer mechanisms.
The input spec is a pretty good start but to best satisfy timer
requirements in the enterprise space, I think it needs a bit more, even
if, say one vendor or another might not use all types of timers.

Cheers,

-Charlton.