geronimo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Error when running maven
Date Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:14:36 GMT
I've found 2 ways to make this work:

1. using the currently  available xdoclet 1.2b2, put the template file  
outside the jar.  My previous attempts to do this were foiled by  
accidently using 2 copies of geronimo, and modifying the one I wasn't  
building:-) I'm going to commit this way for now.

2. using the hopefully-about-to-be-released xdoclet 1.2, which has the  
stream reading bug fixed in it.  With luck this will be released and  
put into the ibiblio maven repository soon and we can go back to the  
packaged template.

thanks
david jencks

On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 11:48 PM, David Jencks wrote:

>
> On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 02:34 PM, gianny DAMOUR wrote:
>
>> David Jencks wrote:
>>> I have previously had very similar problems with xdoclet templates   
>>> using xdoclet 1.2b2 and solved them only by upgrading the xdoclet   
>>> version to a custom build (this is why JBoss ships with its own copy  
>>> of  xdoclet).  This experience has led me to be extremely wary of   
>>> customizing xdoclet, and provides a considerable amount of my   
>>> motivation for wanting to eliminate xdoclet from the geronimo build.
>> As a matter of fact, I did not hear you the first time and I learn  
>> the hard way that XDoclet has some issues.
>
> I haven't said very much about this. I have however been writing and  
> recommending getGeronimoMBeanInfo methods rather than an xdoclet  
> plugin:-)  I last experienced this problem about 9 months ago and had  
> more or less forgotten about it.
>
> Based on that experience I suspect if we could get a more or less  
> current version of xdoclet in a maven repository the template would  
> work.  However my last few attempts to build xdoclet have failed.
>>
>>> I've checked my copy of the xdoclet template, and it does not appear  
>>> to suffer from the problem claimed in the stack trace.
>>>
>>> I suspect streams are not being read to the end in the mac jvm due  
>>> to bugs in xdoclet.
>> What surprise me is that a custom XDoclet template is been used  
>> successfully to generate the standard MBean interfaces. However, this  
>> template is outside a JAR.
>>
>> Hence, could you please make me a favour? As I do not have a Mac, I  
>> can not reproduce this issue; however I would like to know if you can  
>> override the templateFile of the geronimodoclet task in order to have  
>> a template outside a JAR.
>
> Do you know how to do this?  I tried changing the etc/maven.xml file  
> geronimo doclet definition to
>
>         <geronimodoclet destDir="${destdir}" verbose="false">
>           <fileset dir="${srcdir}">
>             <include name="**/*.java"/>
>           </fileset>
>           <mbeaninfo  
> templateFile="${project.root}/etc/xdoclet/template/jmx/geronimo- 
> mbeaninfo.xdt"/>
>         </geronimodoclet>
>
> (and putting a copy of the template there)
> but the build is still using the copy from the jar:
>
> Generating output for  
> 'org.apache.geronimo.tools.xdoclet.GeronimoDocletTaskTest' using  
> template file  
> 'jar:file:/Users/david/.maven/repository/geronimo/jars/geronimo-tools- 
> DEV.jar!/org/apache/geronimo/tools/xdoclet/resources/geronimo- 
> mbeaninfo.xdt'.
>
>>
>> If it still does not work, I assume that I should fix what I have  
>> checked in: I will remove this module.
>
> I hope that won't be necessary.  Have you looked at xdoclet2 at all?   
> I have some hope that it will be more maintainable than xdoclet1.
>
> Actually for xdoclet2 I think there is a serious danger that the jelly  
> xml-generating scripts are impossible to modify or test.  I think the  
> only maintainable system is something like this:
>
> qdox turns your set of source code files into an object tree  
> representing the javadoc.
>
> There needs to be some sort of context object representing a position  
> in this object tree.
>
> start with a schema for the document you want to generate.
>
> For each choice of multiplicity in the schema, annotate it with a  
> query on the object tree, starting at the current context: this query  
> returns a collection of objects.
>
> For each bit of content, get the value from the context.
>
> Since this is grammar-driven by the schema, the resulting document has  
> to conform to the schema.
>
> But, that's just my opinion, and I haven't figured out how to write  
> something like this yet.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>>
>> Sorry for these problems,
>> Gianny
>>
>> _________________________________________________________________
>> Trouvez l'âme soeur sur MSN Rencontres ! http://g.msn.fr/FR1000/9551
>>
>


Mime
View raw message