geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Anderson" <...@netspace.net.au>
Subject RE: Why I am opposed to retaining the name Geronimo, and whi I consider this VOTE to be biased.
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2003 07:16:34 GMT
In Australia, appropriation of Aboriginal symbolism
is considered offensive, and under mooted changes
to moral rights law [1], indigenous communities
would be able to sue for damages.

Moral rights law is limited to art, i.e., visual,
written, architecture, film and television. It does
not extend to cultural folklore or sentiment.
It is therefore possible to name a piece of software
Namatjira [2], but at the risk of invoking a backlash.

On the global scene, UNESCO has been running symposiums on
the copyright protection of folklore [3], which
could conceivably prevent appropriation of cultural
symbols in future.

-Tim

[1] Background on Australian moral rights legislation:
  http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/lawrpt/stories/s278801.htm
  http://www.abc.net.au/rn/arts/atoday/stories/s222198.htm
  http://www.abc.net.au/rn/arts/atoday/stories/s218612.htm

[2] http://www.naa.gov.au/Publications/fact_sheets/FS145.html