geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Anderson" <...@netspace.net.au>
Subject RE: Why I am opposed to retaining the name Geronimo, and whi I consider this VOTE to be biased.
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:04:14 GMT
> From: Hiram Chirino [mailto:hiram@coredevelopers.net]
>
> Danny Angus wrote:
>
> >>Exactly. Furthermore, I would put it to you that voting against the name
> >>simply because Geronimo was an 'American Indian' and you 'think that is
> >>what they would want' is patronising and discriminatory.
> >>

> >Wrong again, I never wrote either of the phrases you have placed
> in quotes,
> >but if you had taken the time to read what I did write you would
> have seen
> >that I said:
> >"I believe that it is not my judgement which counts, it is that of Native
> >American society."
> >

> The point is that you have caimed that you are not a Native American yet
> you are arguing for them.  How can you dare to assume you know how a
> single Native american feels about the subject when you live on the
> other side of the world?
>
> Regards,
> Hiram

Look, this is getting silly. The opposing argument:
  How can you dare to assume that all Native Americans won't be offended
  by the use of the name Geronimo?

Against both arguments:
  How can you presume to know without asking?

If this project can get written permission from Geronimo's descendents
or his custodians, then by all means use the name Geronimo.
If not, find another name.

-Tim