geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: JCA and Drools
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:36:58 GMT
I looked, there is essentially no jca implementation, just a couple of
do-nothing interface implementations.

My previous experiences with integrating a rules engine in JBoss made
me think that a jca interface for an in-vm rules engine was not a very
good fit, so I would expect some fairly severe conceptual mismatches to
appear shortly.

You have to figure out what a "physical connection" might correspond to
in Drools.  My guess is that it corresponds to an instance of the rules
set.  With luck these can be sensibly pooled when not in use.  Your
ManagedConnection object would subclass or wrap the "physical
connection".

Then you have to figure out what the application level interface to
this is.  Most likely this is specified by jsr94. This will be the
connection you get from the connection factory.  The connection needs a
pointer to the managed connection object and should delegate any actual
work to the managed connection object.

I just remembered that I have a mock adapter for testing the geronimo
jca framework sitting here, so I will commit it: it may provide a
simpler guide to what is needed since there is no pesky backend to get
in the way.

Ask if you have more questions

thanks
david jencks

On Tuesday, December 23, 2003, at 08:58 AM, Chris Perrin wrote:

> David,
>
> If you can point me in the right direction, I am hoping to get some
> work on
> Geronimo done over the holidays.
>
> Chris

>>> entirely.  I've been looking over the JCA implementation already
>>> there