geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [security] Authentication mechanism
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:58:09 GMT
On Monday, December 1, 2003, at 03:25 PM, Cabrera, Alan wrote:

> NTLoginModule and SolarisLoginModule are provided by Sun in JDK1.4 as
> part
> of the JAAS distribution.

I looked at these are they are very disappointing.  All they do is get
you the username the current java process is running as.  You can not
get a windows security ticket that the server could then verify.  As
for Solaris (or any unix) I don't think there is anything like a ticket
unless the admins are using Kerbos and even then I don't know of anyway
to get the OS to give you a ticket for the currently logged in user
(which means they need to type in username and password again).   Maybe
someone who knows more about unix security can comment on the state of
single sign on.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner