geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Project Name - digression...
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:27:22 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> [+0.5] Yes, Keep the name Geronimo
> [    ] No, Change the name
>
> 	I have some concern over the name in the sense that it might be
> hard to sell "let's use Geronimo" to a project manager who thinks "jump
> off a cliff".  Basically, I'd prefer not to have "additional risk"
> associated with the project name.  On the other hand, I really don't like
> the process of deciding on a new name, and I'm unswayed by the Native
> American-ness of the name.
>
> Aaron

I hear you Aaron :-)

I guess my answer to this, as well as other positions, is that, if the
vote comes out in favour of 'Geronimo' the website should clearly
identify the reasons behind this choice and actively encourage people to
educate themselves about the man and his struggle. This has recently
been suggested on the wiki and I think it is a great idea.

Educating people in this way should help replace dated and perjorative
associations with the name with something more akin to the truth. In
this way, our use of the name becomes of direct benefit to it.

Jules

--
  * Jules Gosnell