geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Hamilton <david.hamil...@financity.co.uk>
Subject Re: Why I am opposed to retaining the name Geronimo, and whi I consider this VOTE to be biased.
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:38:11 GMT
Absolutely right - much better to use a symbol of WASP cultural
imperialism itself rather than any of this ethnic stuff...
.. my suggestion is Custer!!!!

[End sarcasm]

Serious point:  The 'correctness' of the use of Geronimo name would
depend on which usage was intended:

* If it is intended as a genuine mark of respect for what the name
Geronimo stands for, and an appreciation of the culture then it should stand

* If it is used in the 'jump off cliff' sense (as I suspect it might be,
given the context of the project), then it is a misappropriation of a
culture which is likely to cause offence, and should be dropped

    david