geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Project Name - digression
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:18:01 GMT
Aaron Bannert wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 08:52:35PM +0000, Jules Gosnell wrote:
>

>>If you read/quoted the full context of my posting :
>>
>>"If people feel the need to discuss these issues all over again, perhaps
>>we should spawn another thread - or better perhaps a Wiki page (If one
>>does not already exist). "
>>
>>you would, perhaps, notice that I had no intention of censoring anyone.
>>In fact I am quite open to further discussion on the subject. The VOTE
>>thread is a VOTE thread and will become quite indecipherable and useless
>>if it contains more noise than signal.
>>
>>if we want to discuss all this stuff again it should be somewhere other
>>than the VOTE thread - either this digression thread or the wiki.
>>

>-1 to having discussions on a Wiki.

If you don't like Wikis - fine - neither do I.

>When you require someone to start a new thread *after* a vote has
>been called, you are effectively preventing their opinions from
>entering into the vote discussion.

I disagree.

This digression thread is a subthread of the vote thread.
Anyone interested in reading the vote thread can read/write this thread.
The vote is not a discussion, it's a vote. The more discussion you have
on the vote thread, the more difficult you make it for people to keep
track of who has voted and in which way.

> If that was not your intention,
>then why do you care if they add their signal to the noise?

???

The signal is the vote - which is what everyone wants to see on the vote
thread.
The discussion is noise which should be somewhere else - this subthread
for example.

>In other words, if people have opinions that might factor into the
>vote that I cast, then I want to hear them before I cast my vote.

So read/write them in a non-voting [sub]thread, the mailing list
archive, the wiki, IRC, ...

Can we drop this? It's simply subverting the digression thread where we
could be having an interesting conversation on-topic. Now we are just
having a pointless debate about where to hold this interesting
discussion.....

Jules

--
 * Jules Gosnell