geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Monitoring
Date Sun, 07 Dec 2003 06:32:49 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Stephen J. McConnell wrote:
>

>>Right now I'm in the process of pulling together the next release of
>>Merlin.  The main *feature* of the new release will be a much cleaning
>>embedding strategy based on a bunch of improvements from Alex (Apache
>>Directory Project).
>>

>>If you or other have thoughts on this I'm real interested in getting
>>feedback, suggestions, options, etc.
>>

>Alex, myself, and (AIUI) James Strachan are all of the mind that it would be
>very useful, indeed important, for the Avalon container (e.g., Merlin) to
>support JSR 77/88 directly.
>
>  http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=77
>  http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=88
>
>Like them or not, those are the standard Java specifications for management
>and deployment.  Enabling components written to use those specifications to
>be directly supported by in Avalon container would make such a container far
>more attractive, and would allow the Avalon container to leverage work being
>done for those JSRs.  There is code in the Geronimo CVS that does this (as
>explained by James, the actual Geronimo kernel *is* a JSR 77/88 container),
>so you would not be starting from scratch.

Support for 77 is already possible using extensions - although the real
drop-dead-easy solution is preconditioned on further development of
container-side  pluggable facilities (for which a lot of the
infrastructure is in place under the 3.2 series).  The overall strategy
is to enable "active profiling" of the Merlin system - enabling for
example the full support of 77 based on the configuration of the Merlin
kernel.

Merlin as such is dealing with a finer-grain of component management
that Geronimo - and I think this is both an import distinction and
asset.  What I like to see is the ability for Merlin to full represent a
J2EE application - with or without support for the underling composite
component model.  This objective, combined with the existing support 77
support at the level of the Merlin kernel and management sub-systems is
IMO the right approach.

The 88 question is more related to the recent work on the Avalon
Repository Facility and the Merlin bar file structure.  I think that
there are some interesting possibilities to leverage Geronimo content in
this area - in particular the implementation of a J2EE deployment
manager backed by the repository sub-system.

Any pointers into specific facilities in the existing Geronimo code base
would be appreciated.  I'm definitely interested in moving the
repository facility to a solution that is 88 compliant and Merlin as an
adaptive and dynamic 77 application.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell