geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <jacek.laskow...@hp.com>
Subject Re: how does one configure a new service?
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:57:27 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> I'm  not entirely sure I understand how you are using all the terms
> here, so hopefully you'll be able to understand at least part of what I
> write:-)
>
> I'm assuming by "service" you mean "a bunch of mbeans".

Exactly. The term "service" is taken from the names of the mbeans and
files currently available in Geronimo. I don't therefore understand why
people name the bunch of mbeans - services - if they're not so? How
would you like to see it named? "A bunch of mbeans" is quite a long name :-)

> There are 2 parts: the code and the mbean deployment info.  These can be
> put together into a ".sar" file (hopefully it doesn't actually need this
> extension any longer" with the deployment info in
> META-INF/geronimo-service.xml.  Alternatively the code and *-service.xml
> file can be deployed separately.

Got it too.

> You have to tell the deployment system about these.  By far the easiest
> way at the moment is to put the code in lib and the *-service.xml file
> in deploy, or the *.sar file in deploy.
>
> Alternatively, you can communicate with the deployment scanner,either
> through the web console or via jmx, and tell it directly to deploy your
> package.  You can also configure the deployment scanner to  look where
> you keep your package.

I guess you think about etc/boot-service.xml file where one can define
another location, don't you? I'd just come up with this right after I've
woken up. I don't remember if I dremt about Geronimo, though ;-)

     <mbean
descriptor="org.apache.geronimo.kernel.deployment.scanner.DeploymentScanner"
         name="geronimo.deployment:role=DeploymentScanner">
         <constructor>
             <arg type="java.net.URL[]">${geronimo.home}/deploy/,</arg>
             <arg type="long">5000</arg>
         </constructor>
     </mbean>

By the way, is the comma after the URL required?

> Some examples are the remoting service and the connector service.  I
> believe both of these have the code in lib and the *-service.xml file in
> deploy.

Right.

> Currently the openejb nova ejb containers are missing their
> *-service.xml file to set up the ejb deployer: we seem to have forgotten
> to commit it at apachecon.  I am testing a couple of things with it and
> should commit it sometime tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to checking it out from CVS. I've been looking for
it for a few days.

> Hope this answers something related to your question:-)

Yes. I couldn't expect to have it written better! Thanks David.

If I finish a doc about it, where would you recommend to publish it -
Wiki or CVS?

> david jencks

Jacek