geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Lets finish conversion to GeronimoMBean, or, no more code rot.
Date Fri, 26 Dec 2003 06:03:26 GMT
There are still at least two generations of component code in current
geronimo cvs: the original(?) version requiring fairly explicit
container/containee management and the much simpler and more automated
GeronimoMBean version.  I would like to get this cleaned up in the next
few days.  If the original authors (or someone else) wants to do this,
please speak up, otherwise I will start on it soon.

I think it would be better if more people than Dain and I become
familiar with the GeronimoMBean code, so I encourage others to work on
this.

The areas I am particularly aware of are:

Security framework.  I see that some of the container/containee
management is based on the class of the containee.  This could be
converted to rely on object name patterns to fit in the current
GeronimoMBean structure or perhaps the GeronimoMBean could be extended
to deal with endpoints filtered by class rather than object name.  In
the absence of better understanding I'd move to object name patterns.
Also, I believe that the thread-based mbean server lookup in
GeronimoLoginConfiguration is misguided and unnecessary.  I think we
can assume that there will be only one mbean server per vm used for
geronimo management.  Other mbean servers in a vm might be used for
other purposes, but I see no need for more than one "Geronimo" mbean
server per vm.  If anyone disagrees, please supply a convincing use
case. Alan, sorry I didn't speak up about this when you originally
asked.

Web framework.  Along with converting to use GeronimoMBeans, the
functionality of the web deployer should be separated from the web
container to match the architecture of the other deployer/container
frameworks.

There may be other places needing similar work, these are the ones I
have encountered recently.

Thanks

david jencks