geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Service MBeans getting attributes initialized twice
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:18:05 GMT

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 05:05 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> [...]

You can use a separate xml descriptor, it needs to be in the same
package and with the same name as the class.

i.e.
org.foo.Bar.class
org.foo.Bar.xml

I think Gianni wrote an xdoclet plugin to generate these...

In the service.xml file you use the class name as a descriptor, just as
if you wrote a getGeronimoMBeanInfo static method.

However....

--In JBoss I added the ability to include the "XMBean descriptor"
inline in the service.xml file.  It was sort of usable if the
service.xml file was generated by code, but IMNSHO totally human
unreadable.  After a month or two I found myself looking at one of
these service.xml files and wondering what on earth was going on.

-- After dealing with lots of xdoclet xml descriptor generation for
mbeans (again in JBoss), I'm not sure it's such a great idea.  At the
moment, I find looking at a getGeronimoMBeanInfo easier to decipher
what is in the mbean interface than looking at a descriptor xml file or
looking at javadoc comments spread through the file.  I also find it
easier to write than the javadoc comments, and Intellij and the
compiler find the syntax problems for me.

I think in the long run we may be happier if we add more conveniences
to the GeronimoMBeanInfo setup like the
addAllOperationsDefinedIn(?name) that Hiram added that lets you expose
an interface in one step.

Thanks,

david jencks