geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ed Letifov <e.leti...@chello.nl>
Subject Re: Why I am opposed to retaining the name Geronimo, and whi I consider this VOTE to be biased.
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:04:24 GMT
Hello,

  For me being a Russian resident of Netherlands the concerns linked to
native american origin of name "Geronimo" should probably seem to be
really irrelevant. Fortunately they are not.

  I do know who Geronimo was, and "jumping of a cliff" has the least
priority in all the information that is associated with the name. First
things that come to mind are "Indian warrior" and "hero", "chief" as a
second. And as it was correctly pointed out freedom is what he was
fighting for.

  Consider it a tribute to the hero. A gesture of respect. Let this
server be a proud warrior on the plains of cold corparate monsters like
"WebSphere", "WebLogic" or (sorry) JBoss.

In this sense I have always liked the java page of gnu.org that says:
"Let's not forget that Java is also the name of the most populous
island in Indonesia, which contains the capital Jakarta and dominates
the other islands."

Ed Letifov