geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: making JSR 77 / 88 reusable for component authors (& container developers)
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:49:43 GMT

On Sunday, November 30, 2003, at 09:34 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Dain, David,
>

> Could one of you guys point me to the right packages where this
> code is located.  I want to begin to understand the amount of effort
> it would take to get existing components that run in Merlin or
> Phoenixto run within Geronimo.  And I suspect from our conversations
> you know what I want to doJ.  It was nice talking to you guys over
> beers btw.

All of the code is in
modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/kernel/service but I don't
think that will help you as it is mostly framework code.  I think an
example would be the best place to start.  Unfortunately, I don't know
where the good examples are anymore.  David Jencks converted most of
the old AbstractManagedObject style components to GeronimoMBeans, so
I'll defer to him for good examples.

> From the looks of Pico I don’t think it’s that hard to get framework
> based
> component lifecycles working w/ adapters.  BTW Dain just as background
> info Avalon framework is a set of interfaces and that’s all it does not
> contain any of the kernel code.  Lots of folks like these interfaces
> whether
> or not they support type 1, 2, or 3.
>
> And if you guys say Pico is the most natural fit to the way jsr 77/88
> lifecycles work then it should not be that hard.  I just want to start
> looking
> at the details where we’re sure to find the devil.

I'm not sure on that.  Most Geronimo components should be able to run
in a pico container but we still have some hangups.  I think
GeronimoMBeans will be a good fit for 77 but I don't know enough about
88 to make a call.  It will take more time to see for sure.

> <snip>
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/aaaframework

I'll take a look at this.

-dain