geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo - trademark violation?
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:11:40 GMT
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Siva wrote:
> But i found that a company called as "Apex Data Systems"
> http://www.apexdatasystems.com/index.html has a product called as
> Geronimo. Will it be a trademark violation if we use the same name? Can
> some one throw more light?

Not really, it's in a different segment.  When the group of us first
started using the term "Apache", there was already at least one video game
using "Apache" in its name, and one hardware vendor as well.  The
trademark, whether registered or not, wouldn't be on "Apache" or
"Geronimo" by itself anyways.  It would be on "Apache HTTP Server",
"Apache Software Foundation", etc; so we really should be thinking of the
trademarkable entity here being something like "Apache Geronimo" or, more
defensibly, "Geronimo Application Server".  Note that "Geronimo J2EE
Server" would not be something we could use, since J2EE is Sun's
trademark.

	Brian