geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Project Name
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:38:59 GMT
On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 11:27:05AM -0800, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> We have to have some form of time limit or no decision is reached.
> Normally it is 72 hours but I thought, given the nature, that allowing
> an additional 48 was a reasonable thing to do.

All I'm saying is that you don't have to have a strict deadline.
Doing so only discourages latecomers from voicing their opinions.

This is an abnormal vote as ASF votes go. Normally, there is an
obvious majority that emerges quickly after a vote is called. If
there is a divide, the topic is usually discussed some more until
a compromise can be reached.

We want to avoid situations where a latecomer shows up and it is
their vote that tips the scales. The results of such a hypothetical
vote would not be indicative of a united community.

-aaron