geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Standard prefix for mailing list subject lines
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:32:42 GMT
On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 03:57:48PM -0500, Alvin Thompson wrote:
> i honestly don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a way to prepend the
> subject lines of mailing list mails. this is a very basic feature, and
> every mailing list program worth using has it. if you do not want to use
> it, you should be able to turn it off. but surely you can see why it
> would be useful.

Actually, most mail clients only display a small portion of the Subject:
line, so using up a significant portion of it for [mailing-list-foo] is
quite unreasonable.

> FYI, the software i often use to check my email is PapiMail on Treo
> 600/300 phones. i have to choose what to download (or delete) based on
> the subject line. there is no room on the display to show anything else
> besides the subject/from fields without making it too awkward to use.

I suggest you use something like procmail to prepend a string to
the Subject: line of the emails you receive from this list in a way that
works with your palm email reading software. That way you can have the
[geronimo-dev] prefix or whatever prefix you want without forcing
everyone else to do the same.

-aaron