geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [committers] can you build the website?
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:50:38 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> The amount of energy that we are expending on this is silly.  Can we not
> just start a paypal account to get the infrastructure people a tape
> drive?

there's a paypal account already, and money shouldn't really need to be
an issue here (it is something for fundraising@ to worry about IIUC).
The things that usurps the time and energy are the usual things an IT
team needs to think about.

Who's going to replace the tapes when full? Who is going to install the
drive? What software is used? How is it configured? Tarballs, sure, but
how are they going to arrive at their location? Who runs what crontabs?
Will that compromise security? How much resources will this thing cost?
What maintainance needs does it have? What are the uptime requirements?
How critical is this system to our operation? How do we get all other
projects to change their site generation policy to use the same
mechanism? What should be the upgrade path? Who's going to volunteer to
answer all these questions, do the maintainance, write documentation,
convince people its a good thing?

Find answers to these questions and others, write them down, get
consensus, get PMC support, get the proposal to infrastructure@, make
lots of noise about it, take the time to read the 200 responses the
wider community will inevitably generate, handle the follow-up, help do
the work....phew!

It is always a lot of energy. Every time you send an e-mail message to a
public mailing list, chances are 100s of people will spend some time
reading it. That's a lot of energy.

I'm not saying the current situation is perfect, I'm not saying the
workflow is perfect, I'm not saying I have the slightest clue about how
to install a tape drive...what I'm trying to offer is some perspective.

- LSD