geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "gianny DAMOUR" <gianny_dam...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: DeploymentPlanner - Base class
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 02:07:21 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:

[...]
>We absolutely use naming conventions for services.
>
>*:role=DeploymentUnit,type=<service type>,url=<the url to the deployment>
Yes. Another excerpt of this previous memo ("JSR77 -> JSR88"):

[...]
Whatever the type of deployment, a MBean matching the pattern
"*:role=DeploymentUnit,url=" + ObjectName.quote(url.toString()) + ",*" MUST
be created. This is a requirement of the DeploymentController.
[...]

>>I also agree. So let me re-phrase: I will write a task to bulk transfer a
>>file from a remote host. This task will use under the cover WebDAV. My
>>point regarding the "server push" vs. "client push" idea is that it is up
>>to the server to mount a WebDAV fie system and not the client to do so.
>
>I doubt that a server will have access to mount a client's file system.
>Clients are normally protected by firewall from a server.  Even in a data
>center you sometimes have servers on a separate physical or virtual lan
>from you admin machines.  Having the client mount the server webdav
>directory and push a deployment is way more likely to work.
OK and thanks for that. I will implement the task as suggested. Actually, I
thought that inbound communications (from the wild and outside world to the
data center) were more filtered than the outbound ones.

>>When I write deployment unit, I mean a deployment meta-data repository.
>>The rar and war units are children of the ear one. When an ear is
>>deployed, a ear planner mount the ear unit. This planner then calls the
>>relevant planners for the rar and war units. These planners create units,
>>which are children of the ear unit. When a start action is triggered, the
>>ear unit requests to the ear planner to perform its job. Then all the
>>children units are started. For instance, it means that a start action is
>>triggered on the rar unit, which requests to its planner to perform its
>>job.
>
>Agree, except you would call startRecursive.
As you may have noticed, I have introduced two methods, namely
startDeployment and stopDeployment, triggering the starting of a deployment.
I tried to re-use the JSR77 start and stop methods, however I did face a
problem. Basically, start and stop are not re-entrant, which causes a
problem during the execution of a plan in the context of the doStart or
doStop method. I think that I can avoid this issue and will re-consider my
current approach.

Thanks,
Gianny

MSN Messenger 6  http://g.msn.fr/FR1001/866 : plus de personnalisation, plus