geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Deployment Changes
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:50:45 GMT
	I've finished some changes to the deployer.  Now the JSR-88
application deployer has moved into the kernel, and all deployment
activity goes through it (including service deployment).  As for the
DeploymentController, it now has a queue of pending deployment activities,
and it runs them one at a time.  It also sends notifications for each one,
and has an additional MBean operation to send those notifications, so
other deployer code can send deployment status messages through it.  Every
DeploymentGoal has a JSR-88 TargetModuleID, which in our case includes
things like the deployment job ID used to send notifications.

	As a small demonstration of this, I put a listener on the
deployment notifications to print the server startup time at the proper
time, rather than flying by in the middle between the core service
deployment and the deploy/ service deployment.

	There are still some changes remaining -- the JSR-88 client needs
to be updated to reflect all this, and I think the DeploymentController
could be made more rigorous in sending end of task notifications (if you
remove a goal on the fly or something), but it seems to be working, so
I'll take this one step at a time.  :)

Aaron