geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <fer...@frii.com>
Subject Re: Status of JMS
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:06:53 GMT
This one time, at band camp, James Strachan said:

JS>On 4 Nov 2003, at 17:08, Bruce Snyder wrote:
JS>> This one time, at band camp, James Strachan said:

JS>> stress
JS>> about)

JS>> approach. It
JS>> because
JS>>
JS>> Unless there's a damn good reason for it (and it's entirely possible
JS>> that
JS>> I'm missing something) I disagree that JMS should be used from intra-VM
JS>> messaging between threads.
JS>
JS>I never said that JMS *should* be used for intra-VM messaging between
JS>threads! :)

I understand, James, and I'm not saying that you did say this. I'm
responding to Noel's mention of Somnifugi. My apologies if I implied this.

JS>> AFAIK, the intent of JMS is inter-VM messaging
JS>> for purposes of decoupling. Please correct me if my understanding
JS>> is wrong.
JS>
JS>Absolutely. This thread started with Noel saying he wanted to use JMS -
JS>with the assumption being that distribution was involved. If all you
JS>need is an in-JVM queue then use a Vector :)

Agreed.

JS>> JMX is another issue entirely. JMX is for managability of components.
JS>> It's
JS>> got nothing to do with messaging.
JS>
JS>Agreed.
JS>
JS>Though there's now a remoting part to JMX. So you could use JMS
JS>underneath the covers of JMX remoting - just to muddy the waters some
JS>more :).

I really know nothing about the remoting capabilities yet.

JS>> JGroups is out of the question for Geronimo because of license. It's
JS>> LGPL.
JS>
JS>
JS>There's a BSD abstraction wrapper being developed right now, so soon
JS>we'll be able to use JGroups
JS>
JS>https://jcluster.dev.java.net/

Interesting. So how do you know what this is besides 'Clustering for
Java?' I notice that Bela Ban is involved. I'll have to speak with him
to get more details.

Did you notice that it falls beneaths Sun's incubator? ;-)

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo