geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: JBoss Exhibit C : org.apache.geronimo.common.InvocationType
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:49:52 GMT

Gier's conclusion says...

> Dain contributed the same code to Geronimo that he contributed to JBoss.

> The only difference between his JBoss contributions, for which he has
> complete rights to contribute and relicense elsehwere,

Be cautious about this assumption as according to
http://theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=22337#101159
and
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/jboss/jboss/src/main/org/jboss/ejb/entity/Attic/EntityInvocationRegistry.java
the commit log for the initial import is

"Tracks the entities and contexts associated with a transaction.  This
functionality was merged from GlobalTxMap, TxEntityMap, and
EntitySynchronizationInterceptor."

Which to my mind suggests that at best Dain commited not his own IP but a
"derivative work" of IP already owned by JBOSS commiters, and thus already
covered by the LGPL, and that therefore this file should indeed be licenced
under the LGPL unless Dain was the sole author of all of the code from
which this was merged, or unless the it is apparent that the "merge" was a
new work which merged the ideas, but not the code itself.

viruses.