geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Re: [committers] can you build the website?
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 00:51:14 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote on 26/11/2003 02:21:22 AM:

> http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#web
>
> There are three points that are important AFAIK:
>
> 1 - Restoring:
>      Being able to easily restore the site in case it gets screwed.
>      Doing a CVS checkout is something that anyone here knows how to do,
>      so it's the main way.

Isn't a backup (e.g. tarball, or site dual-posted to archives.apache.org
or whatever), a lot easier than getting CVS going for getting the site
back?

> 2 - Security:
>      Sites should never be pushed on the main site but pulled from
>      it. This is for security reasons, so that a cron job can be made
>      to update the site from a staging server without any access to the
>      server machine. Now that we have www and cvs on the same machine
>      though it makes less sense, as they should be two different
>      machines.

Huh? Sites are pushed on the main server all the time using Maven. What's
the issue with that from a security perspective? All communications is
done over SSH...

> 3 - History:
>      Some have said that we should always keep history of the
*generated*
>      sites, as even the actual results are important. I'm sure that
>      it will be hard to gen today's site with Maven in 4 years time, as
>      things will have changes, but it will still be easy to get them
from
>      a CVS archive.

Again, a backup or tarball sounds far easier for the way-back-in-time
option.

[snip]
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting